No Greater Joy

No Greater Joy

Sunday, March 15, 2009

What a Weekend!

I really enjoyed Hearts at Home in Normal, IL. My favorite things were the Go Fish Guys and listening to Dr. Kevin Leman. It was very reaffirming in my role as a wife and mother and also cool to be with so many stay home moms that make sacrifices to be at home. One of the seminars realy talked about viewing motherhood as a profession. There are so many of us that have college degrees or have held professional jobs and feel that people view us as uneducated when we answer that infamous question, "What do you do?" We know the popular answer, "I'm just a mom." I realize I need to leave the word "just" out of it. It doesn't mean that I am any less than what I ever was before kids or when I was using the degree I worked so hard for. I can honestly say I would be okay with the idea of never teaching again, never having the bigger house and yard, the gym membership, going to the theaters, getting the new car, frequenting the spas, and well...the list goes on. I am truly satisfied and fulfilled in what I do as a woman for my husband and my kids. It is what God has called me to be. I think of how often I hear moms say, "I wish I could afford to be home." I know there are those that live on the bare minimum and truly can't afford that sacrifice. I do question those that say that and have the wallet full of credit cards, the huge house in the best neighborhood, the brand new vehicles, vacations, extra-curricular activities. Where's the willingness to sacrifice? Do you really mean it when you say you want to be home? No offence please, but when God calls you for this job, it's going to require sacrifice. I do have great friends that truly don't have the desire to be at home. Are they any less of a mom than I am? No. It's not their calling and they don't pretend it is. My kids love having me home and their love and hugs are the best paycheck I get every day!

No comments: