As I get older and observe the world around me I feel compelled to share some motherly advice. Though you've heard it before, you have it in writing to carry with you always.
1. You are valuable.
Your value is not measured in the following: clothing, hair style, shoes, money, activities, friends, and stuff in general.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
2. Modesty will help maintain your purity as well as others'. You do not need to be part of anyone's imagination nor tempt others to sin because of the way you present yourself. Those that win a man through physical appearances and lusts will lose the man to the same thing. A real man will fall in love with your heart and spirit and better yet, a godly man will love your relationship with the Lord. He will love you the way God intended you to be loved.
Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a [k]temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 6:18-20
3. Dating isn't easy. The purpose of dating should be to seek out a future godly mate that you will spend the rest of your earthly life with. Know that every guy you date will get a little piece of your heart, a piece you can't get back. Relationships cause pain, even healthy ones. Know the kind of man you want and don't settle for anything else. Trust that God will bring him to you in His time and be praying for that man regularly.
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4. Friends will come and go but family is forever. By nature people will do what is in their best interest. Your father and I have your best interest in mind. God gave you to us meaning He trusted us to care and provide for you. Regardless of your choices, successes and failures, we will love you unconditionally and always be there for you.
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you. Exodus 20:12
5. The name of Christ is easy to claim but harder to live. Many people will claim to be Christian, but if one truly is, they believe the Bible to be complete and true and inspired of God Himself. Look for actions to support their claims. Seek godly people for advice yet make sure they don't use God only when things are good in their lives or like an inspirational poster in their life. Godly people will hold to their faith in good times and bad. They know what the Bible says, church and godly living is a priority, and they will show interest in your spiritual life.
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ Matthew 7:21-24
6. Where you put your time and energy demonstrates what's most important in your life. Education, career, family, and health are not bad in themselves. Remember that when you put anything above God it will cause failure somewhere in your life. God doesn't need to be left out of anything you do. If you put most of your time into yourself, be prepared to be viewed as selfish. Be thankful for what you have and don't be afraid to give back to others. I'm thankful for my education and my job, but your dad and I have tried to show you that you come first. We value our family time at home. I don't want regrets in life, I want to be a mother before I'm someone else's friend. You are not an inconvenience in my life. When you become a wife and mother, you choose to go on a path with your husband and children; life is no longer a path you take alone.
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus. Philippians 2:3-5
7. Never forget the price that was paid for you! Know that you will fail in life. Remember to keep yourself pure by keeping short accounts with God. Take your sins and failures to Him, but only if you truly trust Him to to hear you and you are truly repentant in your heart. Remember that Jesus came to walk this earth and has experienced many things as you, but being who He is, could not sin. Yet because of His love He bore all that we will give Him so that we can share our eternity with Him.
This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10
I thank God for you and pray for you continually. Become the women God wants you to be. No matter where your paths may lead, you'll always have a place in my heart. Stand strong in your faith and I look forward to seeing what God has in store for each of you!!